“The Blizzard” by Cornelius Krieghoff portrays a Canadia Blizzard landscape of the mid-1850s. Krieghoff was skilful in painting the splendours of the Canadian landscapes as well as capturing the hardship of life for the people living at the edge of Canada’s new frontiers.
Cornelius Krieghoff was a Dutch-Canadian painter famous for his paintings of Canadian landscapes and Canadian life outdoors, which were popular in his own time as they are today. He is particularly famous for his winter scenes.
- Title: The Blizzard
- Artist: Cornelius Krieghoff
- Year: 1857
- Medium: Oil on canvas
- Dimensions 33.4 x 46.1 cm
- Museum: National Gallery of Canada
Artist Essential Facts:
- Name: Cornelius David Krieghoff
- Born: 1815 – Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Died: 1872 (aged 56) – Chicago, Illinois
- Nationality: Dutch Canadian
- Notable works:
“Through other people’s faults, wise men correct their own.” Canadian Proverb
Photo Credit: Cornelius Krieghoff [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons