Museums in Cologne – Virtual Tour
Cologne is the fourth most populous city in Germany after Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich. Centered on the left bank of the Rhine, Cologne is famous for the Cologne Cathedral and the University of Cologne, one of Europe’s oldest and largest universities.
Cologne was founded in the 1st century AD as the Roman Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium, the first word of which is the origin of its name.
“Cologne,” the French version of the city’s name, has become standard in English as well.
Cologne functioned as the capital of the Roman province of Germania Inferior and as the headquarters of the Roman military in the region until occupied by the Franks in 462.
During the Middle Ages, the city flourished as being located on one of the most important major trade routes between east and west in Europe.
Before World War II, the city had undergone several occupations by the French and also by the British (1918–1926). Cologne was also one of the most heavily bombed cities in Germany during World War II.
Today Cologne is a major cultural center hosting more than 30 museums and hundreds of galleries. Exhibitions range from local ancient Roman archaeological sites to contemporary graphics and sculpture.
Explore Cologne Museums
- Wallraf–Richartz Museum
- Roman-Germanic Museum – features art and architecture from the city’s distant past
- Museum Ludwig – houses one of the most important collections of modern art in Germany
- Museum Schnütgen – features religious art and is partly housed in St. Cecilia, one of Cologne’s Twelve Romanesque churches
- Galerie Karsten Greve – one of the leading galleries for postwar and contemporary art
- City: Cologne
- German: Köln
- State: North Rhine-Westphalia
- Country: Germany
- Population: 3.8 million, Metro
Map for Museums in Cologne
Kolumba Museum | Cologne, Germany | architecture explained
Cologne Chocolate Museum, Germany
Explore Germany’s Museums
- The Pergamon Museum
- Neues Museum
- Altes Museum
- Alte Nationalgalerie – National Gallery (Berlin)
- Bode Museum
- Gemäldegalerie, Berlin
- Spy Museum Berlin
- Jewish Museum, Berlin
- Deutsches Historisches Museum – German Historical Museum
- DDR Museum
- German Resistance Memorial Center
German Proverbs and Quotes
Wallraf-Richartz Museum – Cologne Germany
Places to see in ( Cologne – Germany ) Roman-German Museum
A New Toyota Museum in Cologne
Things To Do In Cologne, GERMANY – Museums
“I don’t have plans; I only have goals.”
– German Proverb
Photo Credit: Velvet [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]