Museums in Dresden
Dresden is the capital city of Saxony, Germany, on the River Elbe near the Czech border. Dresden has a long history as the capital and royal residence for the Electors and Kings of Saxony, who for centuries furnished the city with cultural and artistic splendor. Since German reunification in 1990, Dresden is again a cultural, educational center.
Dresden hosts the Staatlichen Kunstsammlungen Dresden (Dresden State Art Collections) which, consists of twelve museums, of which the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister (Old Masters Gallery) and the Grünes Gewölbe (Green Vault) and the Japanese Palace (Japanisches Palais) are the most famous. Also known are Galerie Neue Meister (New Masters Gallery), Rüstkammer (Armoury) with the Turkish Chamber, and the Museum für Völkerkunde Dresden (Museum of Ethnology).
Other museums and collections in Dresden are:
- The Deutsche Hygiene-Museum, founded for mass education in hygiene, health, human biology and medicine
- The Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte (State Museum of Prehistory)
- The Staatliche Naturhistorische Sammlungen Dresden (State Collection of Natural History)
- The Universitätssammlung Kunst + Technik (Collection of Art and Technology of the Dresden University of Technology)
- Verkehrsmuseum Dresden (Transport Museum)
- Festung Dresden (Dresden Fortress)
- Panometer Dresden (Dresden Panometer) (Panorama museum)
- Dresden City Museum is focused on the city’s history
- The Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr (Military History Museum) is placed in the former garrison in the Albertstadt.
- The Book Museum of the Saxon State Library presents the famous Dresden Codex.
- The Botanischer Garten Dresden is a botanical garden
- The Dresden Zoo in the Großer Garten
- The Kraszewski-Museum is a museum dedicated to the Polish writer Józef Ignacy Kraszewski, who lived in Dresden from 1863 to 1883.
A Tour of Dresden Museums
Explore Germany’s Museums
- The Pergamon Museum
- Neues Museum
- Altes Museum
- Alte Nationalgalerie – National Gallery (Berlin)
- Bode Museum
- Gemäldegalerie, Berlin
- Spy Museum Berlin
- Jewish Museum, Berlin
- Deutsches Historisches Museum – German Historical Museum
- DDR Museum
- German Resistance Memorial Center
German Proverbs and Quotes
“I don’t have plans; I only have goals.”
– German Proverb
Photo Credit: © Jorge Royan / http://www.royan.com.ar