Church of the Acheiropoietos – Photo Gallery
After Ottoman conquest of the Thessaloniki in 1430, the Acheiropoietos was converted into a mosque, by Sultan Murad II. Throughout the Ottoman period, it remained the city’s principal mosque under the name Eski Camii (“Old Mosque”).
The current entrance is through a triple-arched opening that connects the narthex with the main nave.
Entranceway, which connected the church with the city’s Byzantine-era thoroughfare.
The surviving parts of the church’s original interior decoration include 5th-century Ionian capitals, the green Thessalian marble columns, the original Proconnesian marble pavement of the central nave, and fragments of 5th-century decorative mosaics.
The building is a three-aisled basilica, some 28 m wide and 36.5 m long, with a wooden roof. The three aisles are separated by columns, while the two side aisles have galleries above them.
Floor mosaics from an earlier Roman-era bath have been uncovered.
Byzantine Mosaics in the Church of the Acheiropoietos
Church of the Acheiropoietos
- Name: Church of the Acheiropoietos
- Greek: Ιερός Ναός Παναγίας Αχειροποιήτου
- City: Thessaloniki
- Country: Greece
- Date: 5th-century
- Type: Historical Church Site
- Location: Agias Sofias street opposite Makedonomachon square
“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.“
– John the Baptist
Photo Credit: JOM; By Vasarchit [CC BY 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], from Wikimedia Commons;By Knop92 [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons; By G.Garitan [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons