Switzerland is a federal republic consisting of 26 cantons and is bordered by Italy, France, Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein. Switzerland is geographically divided between the Alps which occupy the more significant part of the territory. The largest cities are Zürich and Geneva.
The establishment of the Old Swiss Confederacy dates to the late medieval period, and the country has a history of armed neutrality going back to the Reformation; it has not been in a state of war internationally since 1815.
Switzerland is one of the most developed countries in the world, with rich cultural heritage, with many world-class museums.
- Country: Swiss Confederation
- German: Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft
- French: Confédération suisse
- Italian: Confederazione Svizzera
- Romansh: Confederaziun svizra
- Capital: None. Bern is the seat of the federal authorities.
- National language German, French, Italian, Romansh
- Population 8.4 million
Swiss Proverbs and Quotes
Map of Switzerland
“The devil hides himself in details.” Swiss Proverb
Photo Credit: By Biovit (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons