Hampton Court Palace, Tradesman’s Entrance
Food produce was brought into the palace through a ‘Tradesman’s’ entrance, where all goods passed under an archway into a cobbled courtyard. Here they were all unloaded and checked carefully. A team of accountants, known as ‘The Clerks of the Green Cloth’, kept detailed records to ensure costs were accurate. Kitchen staff the carried all the food products into a series of smaller kitchens or to the stores.
As soon as Henry VIII took ownership of Hampton Court Palace in 1528, the King began rebuilding and expansion to accommodate the King’s court which consisted of over one thousand people. Although the King owned over sixty houses and palaces, few of these were large enough to hold the assembled court, and thus one of the first building works to transform Hampton Court to a principal residence was to build the huge kitchens.
The kitchens were quadrupled in size, enabling the King to provide meals for his entire court. The architecture of King Henry’s new palace followed the existing design of perpendicular Gothic-inspired Tudor with Renaissance ornament.
- Name: Tradesman’s Entrance
- Dates: 1530’s
- Historic Site: Hampton Court Palace
“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.” Charles Dickens
Photo Credit: JOM