National Gallery of Art, DC
The National Gallery of Art and its attached Sculpture Garden is the national art museum in Washington, D.C., located on the National Mall. The museum was originally privately established in 1937 for the American people by a joint resolution of the United States Congress. Andrew W. Mellon donated a substantial art collection and funds for construction. The Gallery’s collection of paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, sculpture, medals, and decorative arts traces the development of Western Art from the Middle Ages to the present.
The Gallery’s campus includes the original neoclassical West Building, which is linked underground to the modern East Building and the 6.1-acre (25,000 m2) Sculpture Garden. The Gallery often presents temporary special exhibitions spanning the world and the history of art. It is one of the largest museums in North America and is open to the public and free of charge. The National Gallery of Art, DC includes among its many treasures the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci in the Americas and the largest mobile created by Alexander Calder.
Masterpieces of the National Gallery of Art
- “Ginevra de’ Benci” by Leonardo da Vinci
- “A Young Girl Reading” by Jean-Honoré Fragonard
- “Small Cowper Madonna” by Raphael
- “The Alba Madonna” by Raphael
- “Nude on a Divan” by Amedeo Modigliani
- “Nude on a Blue Cushion” by Amedeo Modigliani
- “Saint Jerome” by El Greco
- “The Houses of Parliament, Sunset” by Claude Monet (National Gallery of Art, DC)
- “Breezing Up (A Fair Wind)” by Winslow Homer
- “Madame Moitessier” by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
- Adrienne (Woman with Bangs) by Amedeo Modigliani
- “Watson and the Shark” by John Singleton Copley
- “The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries” by Jacques-Louis David
- “The Boating Party” by Mary Cassatt
- Masterpieces of the National Gallery of Art
National Gallery of Art, DC
- Name: National Gallery of Art
- City: Washington, D.C.
- Country: United States
- Established: 1937
- Type: Art Museum
- Address: National Mall between 3rd and 7th Streets at Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 20565, National Mall, Washington, D.C.
- Public transit access:
- Metro: Red Line – Judiciary Square, Yellow Line, Green Line – Archives, Blue Line,
- Orange Line, Silver Line – Smithsonian
- Metrobus: 4th Street and 7th Street NW
- DC Circulator: 4th Street and Madison Drive; 9th Street and Constitution Avenue NW
National Gallery of Art, DC Map
Explore Museums in Washington, D.C.
- National Gallery of Art
- National Museum of American History
- National Air and Space Museum
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- National Museum of Natural History
- National Portrait Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- The Phillips Collection
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- International Spy Museum
“Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow.
The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.”
Photo Credit: By AgnosticPreachersKid (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons 2) By USGS, cropped and labelled by Postdlf (USGS satellite image) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons