Museums in Boston
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts in the United States and one of the oldest cities in the United States. Boston was founded in 1630 by Puritan settlers from England. Boston played host to some of the key events in the American Revolution such as the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, the Battle of Bunker Hill, and the Siege of Boston.
With this history and legacy, Boston has some of the world’s great museums. “The Joy of Museums” will feature the following Boston Museums:
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, is one of the largest museums in the United States. It contains more than 450,000 works of art, some highlights of the collection include: Egyptian Artifacts, French impressionist and post-impressionist Art, Chinese painting, calligraphy and imperial Chinese Art, Japanese works, 18th- and 19th-century American Art.
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (ISGM) is in Boston, Massachusetts, located within walking distance of the Museum of Fine Art, Boston. The museum displays an art collection of world importance, including significant examples of European, Asian, and American art, from paintings and sculpture to tapestries and decorative arts.
- Harvard Art Museums
- The Harvard Art Museums are part of Harvard University and combine three museums: The Fogg Museum – established in 1895; The Busch-Reisinger Museum – established in 1903; and The Arthur M. Sackler Museum – established in 1985.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art or MET
- Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
- Intrepid, Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Neue Galerie New York
- The Cloisters
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
- American Museum of Natural History
- Museum of the City of New York
- New-York Historical Society
- Frick Collection
- Met Breuer
- National Gallery of Art
- National Museum of American History
- National Air and Space Museum
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- National Museum of Natural History
- National Portrait Gallery
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- The Phillips Collection
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- International Spy Museum
“In Boston, they ask, how much does he know?
In New York, how much is he worth?
In Philadelphia, who were his parents?”
– Mark Twain
Photo Credit: By Bill Damon [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons